People complain to me about networking all the time. They say things like…
“I waste all this time and money and I get nothing from it.”
“I’m not really good in crowds.”
And here’s what I have to say. Whatever your complaint about networking, it is not the problem. What you THINK about it is (just like with everything else). And I happen to know 9 Little Words that could help you turn around those thoughts.
Networking, making connections, building relationships, both online and off, is a crucial business activity, so you might as well learn to love it.
Here are seven tips I am sharing tomorrow at a speaking engagement where I’m giving a talk called Beyond Collecting Business Cards: Making a Networking Strategy that Works for You.
- Be generous
- Give yourself a job to do
- Know your ideal client and where to find them… and if you can’t find them gathered together, make a place for them to do so.
- Expect great things
- Follow up and follow through
- Find and support your networking partners (see #1)
- Let go of what scares you
As it happens, these are pretty good tips for life too. I’ll be exploring them in more depth in future posts. In the meantime, get started loving networking…go make a connection and be generous to them right off the bat. You will find it is well worth it.